Monday, April 6, 2009

To understand your father, understand his war

Hi, I'm Jan Elvin. Welcome to my first blog! I'm glad you're here. Your probably visiting because you've looked at the website for my book, a book I wrote to uncover the secrets of war that my father kept hidden, but also out of a longing to understand him better. The book's title is
The Box from Braunau: In Search of My Father's War. There's a story behind the box from Braunau, of course, but it's the subtitle — the in search of — that leads you to the deeper meaning of the story.

About me:
I live in Washington, DC, which gives me the chance to do two things I love: ride my bike and walk along the river or canal. I'm married to a human rights lawyer and am the mother of a grown son and four step-daughters.
After spending the last several years digging around the in the National Archives and through family records, I finally learned what caused the nightmares Dad brought back from the war. 

About my father:
First Lieutenant Bill Elvin fought in the 80th Infantry Division during World War II under General George S. Patton in Europe. He was wounded by a sniper firing from a church tower in France, and was later awarded a Silver Star for gallantry in action.

He and my mother moved to the Washington, DC  area in 1946 where he worked in the newspaper business as a reporter and editor.
I wanted to know what happened to my father during World War II, but it was his "inner war" that intrigued me. The memories of combat and concentration camps plagued him throughout his entire life, straining family harmony.

What I'd like to do here:
  • Extend a hand to any family member of a combat veteran
  • Give tips on how to break the long silence between soldier and family
  • Provide insight to women/girls navigating relationships with their fathers
  • Illustrate how you can explore your family's military history
  • Deliver to you the latest research on issues of concern to veterans
  • Post news items and reviews of books relating to veterans
  • Show you how to contact other veterans and veterans' families
  • Make this a place to share your experiences as a soldier, veteran, family member

I'm writing this blog to and for you, the child of the World War II veteran, 
but it could just as easily be to those of you who are veterans of any war, 
or to you, the spouse or the parent ofthe soldier. I'd love to add your voices
to this blog — I care about what you have to say andothers will, too.
The Box from Braunau will be published in May 2009 by AMACOM.
Copyright 2009 by Jan Elvin. All rights reserved.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome! I can really feel the larger purpose here.

Jan Elvin said...

So glad! Thanks for leaving a comment.

Bill P said...

Jan, it was riveting to read your Dad's journal entries. I especially recall the time under enemy fire when his only words were "down, down, tight, tight." And the time when he lay down in watery foxhole so wasted he didn't care if he woke up.

These glimpses into that hell help me understand why he and other vets keep their war wounds heavily covered, boxed up, buried. It's hard enough dealing with the ordinary pain of living, childhood emotional trauma, etc. But this was beyond what most of us can imagine. I admire your Dad for simply keeping the will to survive.

And you are taking a great step in the healing work that continues generations after WWII. To me, healing can flow across generations, backward as well as forward in time, but someone has to take on the work, dig up the lost boxes, air them out. So this is a great service you are giving!

Bill Prindle